Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Linkedin: How to use it and My response to Your Fathers Tool

This is in response to a comment on a recruitment group that using Linkedin to recruit is dated. I disagree and strongly have responded why. If you are a jobseeker or a recruiter my sourcing response may help you with hints on how to use Linkedin beyond the post--that is if you read this:-).

Subject: In response to Linkedin: Your Fathers Tool
I'm happy to be using tools that reach a broad range of experience levels. How can a tool be dated if it works? I still belong to this group which is a yahoogroup--- I still use organizations, associations, meetups and occassionally job board hunting, especially with earlier listservs that would date me but I still land quality candidates.

As a recruiter, I use anything that works to find quality talent and that could mean using a resource like Linkedin not for the talent that is visible but for the link to that talent. I use Linkedin similar to employee referral tools-- connecting with others that can connect you to the talent. I also respond to talent and recruiters to help them connect to each other. I don't get paid to do it I think its what makes me a great networker--I want to assist folks, and learn about matches or talent I might never have known about if I kept only within my circle.

Shame on any recruiter that doesn't use the tools that have proven impact to source. I challenge anyone without the means for fancy costly job boards where they can get direct access better to qualified networks of candidates than Linkedin. It is dependant on how you use it-- your technique for uncovering more talent through visible talent is what sets a great recruiter apart from the average. Track your results and you'll find that jobboards still deliver candidates, Linkedin delivers candidates, direct source delivers, employee referrals delivers talent..... Bottom Line know what works and don't stop at just one resource.

A note on Linkedin as a recruiting tool and as an agent for networking. When Linkedin started only marketing folks were using it, and a few recruiters got into the mix. Linkedin became what it is today as a Job Connection resource because of those recruiters using it as a channel to reach out to folks otherwise not advertised. Ask how someone heard about Linkedin-- it is usually through recruiter or school. Prior to Linkedin charging for JobPosts it was one more low cost networking tool or source to get the word out that companies were hiring. Like List and Groups before Linkedin it will continue to be used by our profession.

It is up to the employment profession to think creatively to reach the market and talent they need through any and all resources possible. If you limit your tools to a demographic group-- you are limiting your ability to source a whole pot of exceptional talent. Likewise its up to us to keep abreast of new tools-- I try them all, but I track what is successful.

Oh by the way if you aren't a fan of Linkedin Talent--- just send over all
your contact info v-card downloaded to me, and I'm sure we all would be happy to network with those folks;-)

Sue
Susan Hand in Boston
http://twitter.com/SusanHand

http://bostonrecruiter.blogspot.com
http://susanhand.blogspot.com/
Technology Recruiter
Recruitment Manager and Sourcing Pro
Located: Boston, MA

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,



Famous Quotes